Saturday, January 1, 2011

Why Mount Kenya?


So I've got to admit I've become a little fascinated with learning more about Mount Kenya.  While Kilimanjaro is certainly the best known peak in Africa, Mount Kenya has a unique role in the history of Kenya and in the culture of some of the surrounding tribes.  The other thing I have learned is that Mount Kenya is a lot shorter than Kilimanjaro (by about 2,000 feet!) and even less crowded, so I figure it may be a good peak for me to test out my city legs and sea level lungs.

Here are some of the more technical facts of the mountain:
  • Mount Kenya is the second highest peak in Africa.
  • Its highest peak, Batian, reaches 17,058 ft (5,199 m) and its second peak, Nellion, reaches 17,021 (5,188 m).  Since these are both technical climbing peaks and people actually die climbing these, I think I will pass on these twin peaks.
  • Their third sister peak is Point Lenana, is the shortie of the bunch --- kind of reminds me of my middle daughter, Kelsey.  At 16,355 ft (4,985 m), she is still taller than any peak in the Lower 48 (Mt. Whitney, CA is 14,495 ft).
  • The mountain falls within Mount Kenya National Park and is 180 km northeast of Nairobi. The park is made up of a protected area 3,200 m above sea level and has the distinction of being simultaneously a World Heritage Site and an International Biosphere Reserve
  • Though Mount Kenya is practically on the equator, it has snow and ice and even glaciers. However, in the last year the number of glaciers has dropped from 18 to only 7 that remain today.