Saturday, August 6, 2011

ITINERARY FOR THE CLIMB

So I will be climbing (trekking) Mt. Kenya with a guide, a porter and a cook.  We will be following the Chogoria-Point Lenana-Sirimon Route which starts in the east and ends in the west and is said to be the most scenic and diverse route.

Day 1 - Drive to Chogoria from Nairobi and 4 x 4 / hike to Mt Kenya Bendas (9,514 feet)
Day 2 - Mt Kenya Bendas to Lake Ellis Camp (11,811 feet)
Day 3 - Lake Ellis to Mintos Camp -- great views of the Gorges Valley (13,780 feet)
Day 4 - Pre-dawn summit to Point Lenana (16,355 feet) and then down to Old Moses Camp (10,287 feet)
Day 5 - Final descent to Sirimon Park gate and back to Nairobi

Had my longest training walk today in the 90 degree heat of Indiana -- 70 minutes and I was beat.  My new Keen hiking boots are broken in -- I need to get my backpack, sleeping bag and trekking poles ordered tonight.  Need to start walking with 20 pounds of water soon.