Sunday, October 2, 2011

DAY 5 (9/16) – THE FINAL LEG

I bedded down at 10 pm last night and, even over the chatter of the French climbing group next door, fell fast asleep.  I woke at 6:30 after what was no doubt my best sleep of the Climb.

The road out from Old Moses
 Having my last breakfast of tea, passion fruits, pineapple and toast was a little bittersweet, but the thought of a hot shower and a cold Coca Cola awaiting me in Nairobi got me going.  The last trek from Old Moses to Sirimon Park Gate was really a cake walk.  Wide trails and gentle downhill was a relief from the monster trek the day before. 

Crossing the Equator
About two hours in Zach stopped and had me stand on a pile of toppled carved stones on the side of the road and announced, “You’re standing on the Equator.”  He went on to explain the geographic milestone used to be bigger and erect, but had been torn down by the elephants…I guess when you live at the Equator it really isn’t that big of deal.



Naftaly, Zach, Ned and Josephat at the Sirimon Gate
It was about noon when we arrived at Sirimon Gate and there were both teams coming and going from there.  I was really so thankful for my Climb team and we took a team pic in our logoed stocking caps with earflaps.  I got a real kick when they told me all the other porters had asked them where they had gotten their “corporate uniform.”  I also shared with them their porter tips for the week and they were real appreciative of it.

Leaving the Park, Mt. Kenya in background
So the final Climb tally was as follows:

·         Day 1 – 15 km – Montane Forest to Meru Mt. Kenya Bandas (2,800 m)
·         Day 2 – 7 km – Bandas to The Nithi Gates (3.200 m)
·         Day 3 – 21 km – Nithi Gates to Upper Simba Tarn (4,500 m)
·         Day 4 – 19 km – Simba Tarn to Pt. Lenana (4,985 m) to Old Moses Camp (3,300 m)
·         Day 5 – 9 km – Old Moses (Judmaier) Camp to Sirimon Park Gate (2,660 m)

A grand total of about 75 kilometers or about 47 miles in five days – not bad for a middle-aged, slightly overweight American that had never climbed anything close to being a mountain.

I really can’t say enough about the beauty of the Mt. Kenya National Park – the diversity, the weather, the flora and fauna – I truly was blessed with a great time with my Creator (and 3 new Kenyan friends).