Thursday, March 7, 2013

OUR CLIMB TOUR OPERATOR -- CLIMB KILI

I got my "registration packet" today in the mail from Climb Kili (www.climbkili.com), the climb tour operator that Shannon and I chose for the Climb...good success rate, good safety practices, reasonably priced and locally operated...and they limit climb teams to 6.

Our dates are set for the Climb: September 14 to 21 with our summit day being a full moon day on the 20th.  6 days up and 2 days down.

And then we will leave and go to Kager village from September 22 to 26.

I read the guide tonight and found a couple of the Trekking Tips pretty funny:
  • NO COTTON on Kilimanjaro
  • Staying positive while trekking can be a great indicator of success.
  • Zip locks, Zip locks, Zip locks.
  • Each night you Climb Kili chef can provide hot water for your hard cased water bottle...to use as a warmer in your sleeping bag
  • Lost luggage happens.
  • Lithium batteries work best at high altitude.  You will have to bring lithium batteries with you as they are not available in Tanzania
  • Keeping a dry travel size bar of soap in your sleeping bag can combat musty smells
  • Aluminum foil can add extra warmth to your boots
  • Don't forget to fluff up your sleeping bag after laying it in your tent.
  • Lifetime Deposit -- If you need to delay your adventure, rest assured your deposit is good for life.
Then I read on about High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE) and High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) -- I think I will take this part of the information and throw it away before I let Melissa read it.

So with my $350 deposit in, I only have two words...Climb ON!