Sunday, September 11, 2011

THINKING ABOUT MOGAI

The following is an excerpt from Facing Mt. Kenya, a book written many years ago by Jomo Kenyatta, one of the original rebels and founding fathers of the country of Kenya:

"According to the (Gikuyu) tribal legend, we are told in the beginning of things, when mankind started to populate the earth, the man Gikuyu, the founder of the tribe, was called to Mogai (the Divider of the Universe), and was given as his share the land with ravines, the rivers, the forests, the game and all the gifts that the Lord of Nature (Mogai) bestowed on mankind.  At the same time Mogai made a big mountain which he called Kere-Nyaga (Mount Kenya), as his resting place when on inspection tour, and as a sign of his wonders.  He took the man Gikuyu to the top of the mountain of mystery, and showed him the beauty of the country that Mogai had given him.”
While I’m not Kenyan of the Kikuyu tribe, I have to say this story touches deep inside my soul.  Just like Gikuyu, God has taken me to the country of Kenya and showed me the beauty of this country and her people.  Experiencing Africa has deepened my life and put me in touch with a part of my soul that had been dormant under the busyness and demands of every day American life.  On this Climb, I have a great anticipation for getting to climb Kere-Nyaga and listen to what Mogai has to say to me and teach me during this Climb.  I think He has called me to this Climb for a special personal purpose in addition to raising money to help expand the Kager clinic.
In this day and age where we are “always on”, I’m looking forward to “turning off” for 5 days – to being alone, walking for hours and just soaking in the majesty and wonder of God’s Creation called Mt. Kenya.  I’m looking forward to making new friends with my guide, porter and cook and hope they will be open to teaching me about their country and customs and cultures.  I hope along the trails we climb and at the huts we stay, Mogai will put in my path some interesting people for me to meet.
The Bible has many stories of people meeting God on a mountain…I hope I get to meet Mogai on Mt. Kenya.