Tuesday, September 27, 2011

DAY 4 (9/15) – SLIDING AND SLOGGING TO OLD MOSES CAMP

We made it back down to camp at Upper Simba Tarn (Lake) from the Summit at about 8:30, had a quick breakfast, packed our big packs and were off by 9 am.  On the descent down, I figured out why they have you make the Summit in the dark – because I think most people might quit if they saw how steep and long the climb is to the top.

The climb down from the Summit

Base camp below (yellow tents)

But we still had a long way to go to make camp that night so Zach said “Twende” (come on) and off we went.  The climb down from the Upper Simba Tarn to Lower Simba Tarn was very difficult and steep and full of lose rock.  With both the weight of my pack the weariness of my legs, I tripped and fell my way down the 570 feet “cliff” from the upper lake to the lower lake.

The good thing was I could see how far we had to go – the bad thing was I could see how far we had to go!!! 

I since have learned that Upper Simba Tarn is the highest lake in Africa and the 28th highest lake in the world at 14,960 feet -- no doubt I will always remember Upper Simba Tarn as “the lake that almost killed me”!!!

Looking down at Lower Simba Tarn

Looking up from Lower Simba Tarn

About thirty minutes further from the lower Tarn was Shipton’s Camp where there were lots of climbers and porters, as Shipton’s is part of the Sirimon route which in one of the most popular ascent routes.  We didn’t stay at Shipton’s longer than to take a pee and a bottle of water before we headed down through Mackinder Valley. 

Mackinder Valley really was a welcome change as we were now on the “downhill” side of the Climb, but it was fairly steady and away from the barren rock of the mountain.  As we wound our way down the valley following some small creeks and a descent path, the whole setting reminded me a bit of a wild west scene.  With tall rock walls on both sides and large cactus (giant lobelia) dotting the landscape, it wouldn’t have surprised me to see either smoke signals or a band of Apaches appear.

It was beautiful – but I wasn’t much in the admiring mood – so we marched on…and on…and on.


Mackinder Valley

Giant Lobellia

About 2 pm we hit the moorlands – and a freezing rain with small ice pellets.  It really was miserable as we made our ways across the soggy moorland with sleet in our face.  3 hours later, the sight of Old Moses Camp was a welcome sight as I knew a warm meal and a mattress awaited me.  Summit Day was over – my longest day with 12 hours of climbing and hiking behind me.

Sleet and ice on the Moorlands

Finally -- Old Moses Camp after a long, long day